Fire destroys home on Hoskins Gap Road

Jordan Alcorn at Hoskins Gap Road Fire

Oliver Springs Volunteer Fire Department Capt. Jordan Alcorn battles a fire that destroyed a home on Hoskins Gap Road near Winrock Road at about 7 a.m. Friday. (Photo by Tom Scott)

A fire destroyed a home on Hoskins Gap Road at about 7 a.m. Friday, but no injuries were reported.

The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, photographer Tom Scott said.

The home is near Windrock Road and in the Marlow Volunteer Fire Department area, but firefighters from Oliver Springs also responded, as did Anderson County Emergency Medical Services and the Sheriff’s Department.

Two people were reported to have escaped the fire, which was apparently started by a wood-burning stove. [Read more...]

Andersonville fire displaces family on Christmas Eve

Information from WYSH Radio

A Tuesday morning fire badly damaged an Andersonville family’s home.

The fire started around 5:30 a.m. off Hinds Creek Road near Norris Freeway. According to the Andersonville Volunteer Fire Department, no one was hurt in the fire that destroyed about half of the home.

Firefighters say the blaze started near the dryer in the utility room and that it was an electrical fire, but it is unclear exactly what started it. There were space heaters connected to an extension cord near where the fire started. [Read more...]

Fire destroys barn off Tuskegee Drive

A fire that was reported at about 5:09 p.m. Thursday destroyed a barn off Tuskegee Drive, authorities said.

Owned by Wayne Clark, the barn contained tools, supplies, and equipment, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said.

A small road off Tuskegee Drive that leads to the barn was blocked by tree limbs—preventing even a small rescue truck from using it—but firefighters and police officers were able to get to the scene using a gravel road near Teller Village Apartments. The fire was originally reported as a brush fire. But firefighters who parked a truck on the road and hiked in soon realized it was a barn fire, Kerley said. [Read more...]

Police investigate Utica Circle apartment fire as possible arson

Utica Circle Fire

The Oak Ridge Police Department is investigating a Saturday night fire at an apartment building on Utica Circle as a possible arson. (Photos by Tom Scott)

The Oak Ridge Police Department is investigating the Saturday night fire at an apartment building on Utica Circle as a possible arson.

A suspect in the case is also being investigated for reckless endangerment, an ORPD report said. The Saturday night fire endangered other residents in the eight-unit building in the McKenzie Acres apartment complex and displaced those tenants, the report said. The Red Cross found temporary housing for them. [Read more...]

Most apartment residents displaced by Thanksgiving fire calls can return home

Utica Circle Fire

An apartment fire at 312 Utica Circle that was allegedly set deliberately heavily damaged one home, and other residents in the eight-unit building were displaced during the Thanksgiving weekend. (Photos by Tom Scott)

ORFD chief says Utica Circle fire was set

Power has been restored to an Applewood Apartments building on Hillside Road after a Thanksgiving Day electrical short displaced two dozen residents, and most of another two dozen residents can move back into McKenzie Acres apartments on Utica Circle, two days after they were displaced by a Saturday night fire, city officials said Monday.

The two fire calls in three days displaced about 50 people during the Thanksgiving weekend. The Red Cross has helped the residents with food and shelter, and residents and restaurants have pitched in as well.

The city hoped to get the residents back into their buildings today, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said Monday afternoon. [Read more...]

Second apartment fire this week displaces another two dozen residents

Utica Circle Fire

An apartment fire at 312 Utica Circle heavily damaged one home, and other residents in the eight-unit building will not be able to stay at home Saturday night. (Photos by Tom Scott)

The second apartment fire in Oak Ridge since Thursday has displaced another two dozen residents.

The Saturday night fire started at about 9:22 p.m. in the 300 block of Utica Circle at McKenzie Acres. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the second-story blaze, and no one was injured.

But roughly 25 residents, including children, will not be able to return home to the eight-unit building tonight, authorities said. The Red Cross was on its way to Utica Circle to help the residents, who huddled outside in pajamas, coats, gloves, and hats as temperatures dropped to freezing at about 11 p.m. Saturday. [Read more...]

Letter: Let’s help Applewood residents displaced by fire

On Thanksgiving Day, an electrical fire broke out at the Applewood Apartments in the Highland View neighborhood. Eighteen people were displaced from their apartments while most of us were enjoying rich feasts with friends and families. Although the Red Cross was able to find these people temporary housing, they asked for help to meet the need of meals for these families.

On Monday morning checkout time, these families may be able to return to their apartments or they may have no place to go until the repairs are made to the electrical system of their building. The Red Cross representative said that because of the holiday and because many of these people couldn’t afford to have heat during this cold snap, they were able to extend the amount of care they could normally give. However, that will be ending and reaching beyond the scope of what they can further do during this emergency. [Read more...]

Small electrical fire displaces two dozen Applewood residents

Applewood Apartments Building Residents

A small electrical fire at the Applewood Apartments on Hillside Road around noon Thursday displaced about two dozen residents. Above, Oak Ridge Fire Department Battalion Chief Marty Griffith talks to residents. (Photos by Tom Scott)

A small electrical fire at the Applewood Apartments on Hillside Road around noon Thursday displaced about two dozen residents, authorities said.

The fire was caused by an electrical short in the main power supply leading into the distribution system in the basement of a building at 184 Hillside Road, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said.

The fire at the basement fuse box was quickly extinguished with an extinguisher, ORFD Battalion Chief Marty Griffith said. He said a circuit breaker did its job, turning off power and minimizing damage. [Read more...]

Fire causes damage to auto repair garage in Marlow

Jackson Paving Co. Fire

Oliver Springs firefighter Adam Daugherty uses a thermal imaging camera to check for fire in the overhead area. (Photos by Tom Scott)

A fire caused major damage to a truck being repaired in a large garage in Marlow, and it caused moderate damage to repair equipment and the building.

The fire at Jackson Paving Co. on Oliver Springs Highway occurred at about 10:15 a.m. Friday.

The fire at the large auto repair garage occurred in the Marlow Fire Department area. But mutual aid was requested from the Oliver Springs and Oak Ridge fire departments because of the combustible nature of the materials used. [Read more...]

WYSH: Man charged after meth lab sets apartment on fire

Information from WYSH Radio

A Kingston man was arrested early Tuesday morning after his meth lab caught his bedroom apartment on fire.

Roane County deputies arrested Justin Michael Owens, 23, on five counts of reckless endangerment and one count each of manufacturing meth, tampering with evidence, and vandalism following the incident, which occurred at Smith Apartments on Kingston Highway.

According to the Sheriff’s Department incident report, the fire started when there was a “catastrophic failure” of one of the containers involved in the meth-making process. [Read more...]

Fire causes heavy damage to Clinton home

Information from WYSH Radio

A fire heavily damaged a home on Forrest Avenue in Clinton on Sunday, but no serious injuries were reported.

The Clinton Fire Department responded to 409 Forrest Avenue shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived, they reported seeing heavy smoke billowing from all sides of the house.

Crews ventilated the structure and extinguished the fire, which is believed to have started in the laundry room. [Read more...]

Small fire causes minor damage at Anderson County jail expansion

Anderson County Detention Facility Fire

A small fire Monday morning caused minor damage to a section of the Anderson County jail that is being expanded. (Photo courtesy Larry Davidson/Anderson County Sheriff’s Department)

CLINTON—A small fire Monday morning caused minor damage to a section of the Anderson County jail that is being expanded.

A construction worker on the roof of the 212-bed expansion was welding with a torch at about 11:15 a.m. Monday when it set insulation on the outside of the building on fire, Anderson County officials said. The insulation was between vinyl siding and concrete block, said Larry Davidson, Anderson County Sheriff’s Department captain and acting chief jailer.

The fire was contained to the outside of the Anderson County Detention Facility, and no one was injured. There was no water or smoke damage, but the fire burned a small hole in the side of the building, Davidson said. [Read more...]