Fire destroys AC mobile home

Information from WYSH Radio

A Sunday evening fire destroyed a mobile home on Cedar Grove Lane in Anderson County.

The fire was extinguished by crews from the Marlow Volunteer Fire Department with assistance from both the Clinton and Oak Ridge fire departments, and no injuries were reported.

The resident of the mobile home, Michelle Turnbill, told an Anderson County Sheriff’s Department deputy that she had grilled hot dogs on a small grill on the front porch. She said she checked it when she was done to make sure that the coals were out, and she told the deputy that it appeared to be cool to the touch. After going back inside, she heard what sounded like the grill turning over, and she looked out to see the indoor/outdoor carpet on the front porch ablaze.

She and her family made it out safely and called 911. She told investigators that there had been three dogs and a cat inside the home at the time of the fire, but the report does not indicate their fate.

Report: Discarded cigarette starts fire in truck’s cargo area on I-75

A discarded cigarette that was still lit started a fire in the cargo area of a commercial truck on Interstate 75 on Friday night, authorities said.

The cigarette was discarded by an unknown motorist who threw it out of an unknown vehicle, Anderson County Sheriff’s Department Sergeant Steve Owens said in a report. It landed in the cargo area of a 2013 Ford F3D commercial truck owned by Classic Installs of Knoxville and driven by employee Ryan A. Johnson, the report said.

Johnson was driving south on I-75 near mile marker 121, just south of the Clinton exit, when he saw flames coming from the cargo area of his truck. He quickly pulled over to investigate and called for police and fire help at about 10 p.m. Friday. [Read more…]

Electrical problem blamed for Andersonville house fire

Information from WYSH Radio

A Tuesday morning fire destroyed a house in Andersonville but injured no one, according to the Anderson County Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies were among those who responded to a fire at 334 Brooks Gap Road shortly after 7 a.m. Tuesday.  When deputies arrived, they found crews from the Andersonville Volunteer Fire Department battling the blaze, which had completely engulfed the structure.

The home’s owner, Darryl Webber, told officials that his father had passed away last year and left him the house, which he said he checked on every day to make sure it was okay, adding that three lights were continuously left on inside the home. [Read more…]

Fire destroys Clinton home

Clinton Fire Department Patch

Information from WYSH Radio

A fire early Friday morning destroyed an unoccupied home on Baker Avenue in Clinton.

The Clinton Fire Department was dispatched at 6:08 a.m. Friday and arrived within three minutes to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the home. The Clinton Utilities Board cut off electricity to the scene as fire crews began their attack.

After gaining entry into the house and battling flames in a back room, two firefighters were ordered back out due to the ferocity of the flames burning in the basement and the attic.

Continuing the battle from outside, crews eventually were able to get back in and finally brought the blaze under control.  Firefighters left the scene just after 8:15 a.m. No injuries were reported, but the house suffered extensive damage.

The owner’s son and some other family members arrived on scene and said that there were some items missing from the house, and the Clinton Police Department was called in to investigate.

Saturday morning fire damages Cove Lane home

Cove Lane Fire

Photo by Tom Scott

 

A fire just after midnight Saturday caused heavy damage to a home on Cove Lane north of Oliver Springs.

The fire was reported at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, May 16, at 1014 Cove Lane, fire photographer Tom Scott said.

The home is in the Marlow Volunteer Fire Department area about 500 feet outside the Oliver Springs city limits, Scott said. [Read more…]

No injuries, but four units damaged in apartment fire on West Outer

West Outer Drive Apartment Fire

No one was injured, but four units were damaged in an early morning apartment fire on West Outer Drive on Friday, April 17. (Submitted photo)

 

No one was injured, but four units were damaged in an apartment fire on West Outer Drive early Friday morning.

The fire was reported at about 2:58 a.m. Friday, April 17. The occupant of the quad-plex apartment building at 337 West Outer Drive was sleeping at the time of the fire. He was awakened by the fire and attempted to extinguish it before exiting the apartment, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said.

He then woke up the other occupants in units 331 and 333, who then called 911. ORPD arrived on the scene three minutes after receiving the emergency call and reported fire coming from the rear of the structure and windows, Kerley said. [Read more…]

Tuesday fire apparently started in kitchen microwave

A Tuesday night fire on Bland Road in Anderson County apparently started in a kitchen microwave, authorities said.

The fire was reported at about 9 p.m. Tuesday, and the Andersonville Volunteer Fire Department responded.

Anderson County Sheriff’s Department Deputy Michael A. Poole said he saw smoke pouring out of the front door of the home when he arrived, but no visible flames. Firefighters were already inside trying to extinguish the fire. [Read more…]

With help from neighbors, woman escapes home fire as attic burns

Riverview Drive Garage Fire

An east Oak Ridge woman who uses a walker was able to escape this duplex fire on Riverview Drive on Tuesday afternoon, thanks to help from her neighbors. (Photo by Bob Nuspliger)

 

This story was last updated at 6:40 p.m.

An east Oak Ridge woman who uses a walker was able to escape from her home as her attic burned Tuesday afternoon thanks to help from her neighbors.

The woman, Barbara Osborne, was not injured, although two firefighters who were overheated were treated, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said. He said the firefighters, Captain Mike Friley and firefighter Casey Payne, were working close to the fire, near a lot of radiant heat.

Firefighters were also looking for a female cat, Honey, that belonged to the Osbornes.

The duplex they live in on Riverview Drive was destroyed, Kerley said.

The cause of the fire, which appeared to have started in the attic in the garage area of the home, wasn’t immediately known. It took between 16 and 18 firefighters about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire, which burned intensely over the garage on a windy Tuesday afternoon. [Read more…]

Dog killed in Briceville fire

Information from WYSH Radio

A dog was killed in a house fire on Friday afternoon in Briceville.

The fire at the home on Duncan Road was reported at around 3 p.m. Friday, and it was put out by crews from the Briceville Volunteer Fire Department.

The homeowner, Eric Harris, was the only human at home at the time of the fire, and he was able to get out safely. However, a dog was not able to make it out and died in the blaze.

Harris said that he had heard a loud sound outside his window and had looked out to find his front porch on fire. His wife told firefighters that they typically hung heat lamps on and underneath the porch for their outside dogs in cold weather, and firefighters, in turn, told deputies that the fire appeared to have started in that area.

Firefighters train in controlled burn at home on Waddell Place

Waddell Place Fire

Oak Ridge firefighters trained at a controlled burn at a city-owned home on Waddell Place on Friday. (Photo by Kevin Rice)

 

Oak Ridge firefighters trained in a controlled burn in a home on Waddell Place on Friday.

It’s the second house that firefighters have burned on Waddell Place this year. The first, which was burned in January, was the first that the Oak Ridge Fire Department has burned for training.

The city has one more blighted city-owned home that it could burn on Waddell Place.

The fires require state approval, and they help the city by training firefighters and burning materials that would otherwise have to be demolished and hauled away.

More information will be added as it becomes available.

Early morning fire damages duplex, possibly caused by cigarette

Hillside Road Duplex Fire

A Hillside Road duplex was damaged by fire early Thursday morning by a fire that officials believe was caused by smoking.

 

A Hillside Road duplex was damaged by fire early Thursday morning by a fire that officials believe was caused by smoking.

The fire at 4:30 a.m. Thursday at 136 Hillside Road forced the evacuation of a father and son. Neither of the residents were injured, and firefighters were able to rescue a pet cat, a City of Oak Ridge press release said.

Fire was visible from the rear of the residence when the Oak Ridge Fire Department arrived, the press release said. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading into the adjacent residence.

[Read more…]

Fire damages home on Old Harriman Highway

Old Harriman Highway Fire

A fire early Sunday morning damaged a home on Old Harriman Highway in Roane County. (Photo by Tom Scott)

 

A fire caused heavy damage to a large, one-story house on Old Harriman Highway early Sunday morning.

The fire was reported at 883 Old Harriman Highway at 3:40 a.m. Sunday, March 22.

The house was in the Blair Fire Department’s district. The Oliver Springs Fire Department, the Midtown Fire Department, and the Roane County Office of Emergency Services responded with a total of seven engine/tankers and two rescue units. The Anderson County Emergency Services sent a medic unit, and a Harriman Utilities Board crew cut the power to the house, which was heavily damaged, fire photographer Tom Scott said. [Read more…]