An IRS scam making its way across East Tennessee has now made it to Anderson County, authorities said. During the scam, residents receive telephone calls threatening them with arrest for not paying their taxes.
Here is information from the Anderson County Sheriff’s Department regarding the scam:
- Please be aware the IRS does not make such calls.
- The IRS does not call about taxes you owe without first mailing an official notice.
- The IRS does not demand you pay taxes without allowing the opportunity to appeal the amount you owe.
- The IRS does not ask you to use a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit or credit card.
- The IRS does not ask for debit or credit card numbers on the telephone.
- The IRS does not threaten arrest by local law enforcement if you refuse to pay.
For more information on this scam, visit the IRS website at www.irs.gov and these pages:
The Anderson County Sheriff’s Department said it has not received any crime reports on this scam, but has been told citizens have been receiving such calls.