MURFREESBORO—The Oak Ridge girls 4×800 meter relay team finished ninth in the state track meet in Murfreesboro on Thursday.
The team includes senior Abbey Greenhalgh, junior Genevieve Schwartz, and freshmen Rebecca Joyal and Muskaan Vohra.
The team finished ninth in a field of 16 teams with a time of 10:02.58.
The top three teams in the girls’ 4×800-meter relay were West (of Knoxville), Brentwood (of the Nashville area), and Hardin Valley Academy. West finished first with a time of 9:30.90.
The 2017 TSSAA Girls’ Track State Championships were at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro on Thursday.
In a second event, another Oak Ridge girls team finished 12th in the 4×200 meter relay. That team includes senior Breanne Young, junior Desiree Bates, sophomore Makiya Garrett, and junior Shatyrah Copeland. Their time was 1:47.72. The first-place team, Whitehaven, had a time of 1:41.44.
Schwartz also competed in the 3,200 meter run. She finished 15th with a time of 12:04.55, just ahead of Hardin Valley junior Madison Grimm, who had a time of 12:05.86
Here are other top results for a few other nearby schools:
- Girls pole vault—1st—Anderson County sophomore Brittany Bishop (12-00.00)
- Girls shot put—3rd—Hardin Valley Academy senior Symphony Buxton (40-08.00)
- Girls high jump—4th—Hardin Valley Academy junior Lizzie Davis (5-02.00)
- Girls 200 meter dash—4th—Hardin Valley Academy freshman Timaya Ray (25.45)
- Girls 4×200 meter relay—5th—Hardin Valley Academy (1:44.64)
- Girls 800 meter run—5th—Hardin Valley Academy sophomore Kensi Gray (2:21.31)
- Girls 100 meter hurdles—6th—Bishop of Anderson County (15.44)
Sophomore Maddy Moody of Anderson County finished eighth in the girls 1,600 meter run with a time of 5:23.04.
Hardin Valley had two girls in the outdoor pentathlon. Davis finished fifth, and senior Rebekah Hampton finished 6th.
Hardin Valley finished fourth in the girls team rankings behind Whitehaven, Brentwood, West, and Ravenwood, while Anderson County was 15th.
The Oak Ridge boys will compete today (Friday, May 26):
- Boys 4×800 meter relay—senior Jake Etheridge and juniors Reid Dukes, Will Jeter, and Jose Villegas;
- Boys 1,600 meter run—Etheridge;
- Boys 3,200 meter run—Etheridge; and
- Boys 100 meter dash—sophomore Jordan Graham.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
You can see the complete results from the 2017 TSSAA Girls’ Track State Championships on Thursday here.
You can see the schedule for the 2017 TSSAA State Track Meet Schedule, including for the boys’ events on Friday, here.
You can read about the Wildcats who qualified for the state track meet during the Class AAA Section 1 Finals at Hardin Valley on Saturday, May 13, here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2017 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.