UCOR presented awards to eight small business at its Inaugural Small Business Awards ceremony, held Wednesday, June 12, at the DoubleTree Hotel in Oak Ridge.
UCOR is the U.S. Department of Energy’s cleanup contractor for the Oak Ridge Reservation, and it has subcontracted more than 70 percent of its work to small businesses, exceeding its subcontracting commitment to DOE, a press release said.
“We are grateful for the excellent support we receive from all the small businesses that support us,” said Leo Sain, UCOR president and project manager. “They are an integral part of our work, and we are pleased to recognize these eight small businesses that have gone above and beyond during the past year.”
The categories and winners are:
- Small Business of the Year: Metal Solutions Design and Fabrication LLC
- Small Disadvantaged Business of the Year: Scientific Sales Inc.
- HUBZone Small Business of the Year: Strategic Packaging Systems LLC
- Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year: Lynx Supply Inc.
- Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year: Stowers Machinery Corp.
- Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year: BES Technologies LLC
- Customer Service Award: Foust Diversified Solutions Inc.
- Protégé of the Year: Transportation, Operations and Professional Services Inc.
UCOR plans to present these awards annually, according to Vince Maivelett, UCOR project services manager.
“Although we recognized eight subcontractors this year, there are many companies out there doing exceptional work,” Maivelett said. “UCOR feels very strongly about recognizing the exceptional skills and services these companies provide, and we are especially pleased with the eight subcontractors we are honoring this year.”
UCOR is a partnership between URS and CH2M Oak Ridge LLC.