A resident of a Scarboro home escaped a kitchen fire on Sunday night, and firefighters and police officers rescued a dog from the home.
The kitchen fire was reported at 7:12 p.m. Sunday at 247 South Benedict Avenue. Firefighters were able to extinguish it within about 10 minutes or less.
Marie Woolin, a resident who was home alone at the time, was outside when firefighters arrived, Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said. Neighbors helped her to a car, and she was later taken by ambulance to Methodist Medical Center of Oak Ridge for evaluation. She was released later Sunday night, Kerley said.
The fire appears to have started on a stove and to be cooking-related, Kerley said. It was reported to have caused significant damage to the kitchen, where it burned cabinets, and there was reported to be smoke and water damage in the rest of the house. [Read more…]