OLIVER SPRINGS—A neighbor with a fire extinguisher in his camper helped control a kitchen fire in Oliver Springs on Friday, authorities said.
The fire was reported at about 5:35 p.m. Friday at 506 Cedar Lane in Oliver Springs. A resident of the home had been cooking, getting ready to fry potatoes, and stepped away from the stove, said Jordan Alcorn, captain of the Oliver Springs Fire Department. When the resident returned to the kitchen, grease was on fire, and the flames had extended up into the cabinets above the stove, Alcorn said.
The neighbor got his fire extinguisher and used it until it ran out. Then he exited the home, shutting the front door on the way out, a move that helps control fires, Alcorn said.
“He made a difference,” Alcorn said of the neighbor. [Read more…]