The Anderson CountyÂ Sheriff’s Department has offered holiday crime prevention tips.
“The busy holiday season is…upon us and many people can become victims of burglary, theft, and other crime,” a press release said. “Protecting yourself and your home from crime is the easiest way to have a safe, happy holiday season.”
To help ensure everyone has safe and fun holidays, the Anderson County Sheriffâ€™s Department would like to offer the following tips for holiday crime prevention.
- Park in lighted areas at night.
- Always lock your car.
- Don’t try to cover items on your seats. Put shopping bags in your trunk or take your packages straight home after shopping and then go back out.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash with you, or else, keep it in your front pocketâ€”not in your purse or wallet.
- Be extra careful when carrying a purseâ€”they are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas. If you must carry one, make sure it has a strap that can go over the shoulder and be held under the arm, making them more difficult for purse snatchers to grab.
- Keep a record of all of your debit and credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Beware of strangers approaching you. This is the time of year when thieves may try various methods to distract you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.