The Oak Ridge Wildcats track and field team is competing in the state meet in Rockvale, Tennessee, on Thursday. Oak Ridge is the third or fourth seed in two of the events.
Five Wildcats are competing in five boys’ events: discus, 100-meter dash, 800-meter run, 1600-meter run, and 4×800-meter relay.
The five Wildcats competing in the five boys’ events are:
- Trent Howe, discus. Howe is the number four seed in the state track meet with a throw of 150 feet and 8 inches. Howe, a senior, finished fourth with that throw at the TSSAA Division 1 Large Section 1 Championships at Science Hill High School in Johnson City on Saturday, May 15. The top four seeds in Tennessee, including Howe, all come from Section 1.
- Jacob Berven, 100-meter dash. Berven, a junior, finished fourth at the Section 1 Championships with a time of 11.04. He is the 14th seed in the state track meet.
- Adam Herron, 800-meter run. Herron, a senior, finished third at the Section 1 Championships with a time of 1:58.47. He is the ninth seed in the state track meet.
- Eli Cox, 1600-meter run. Cox, a senior, finished fourth at the Section 1 Championships with a time of 4:22.85. He is the seventh seed in the state track meet.
- Eli Cox, Manuel Cruz, Eddie Moore, and Adam Herron—4×800-meter relay. The boys’ relay team finished third at the Section 1 Championships with a time of 8:00.43. The Oak Ridge team is the third seed in the state track meet. The top two seeded teams are also from East Tennessee: Hardin Valley Academy and Daniel Boone.
Field events Thursday start at 8:30 a.m. Central time. Boys’ discus is scheduled for 9 a.m. Running events begin at 4 p.m. Central time. (See the schedule here.)
Rockvale is southwest of Murfreesboro and south of Nashville in middle Tennessee.
One Oak Ridge athlete almost made it to the state track meet while competing in the Section 1 Championships on May 15. Olivia Land, a freshman, finished fifth in girls’ high jump, but only the top four finishers in the sectional championships go to state.
See the complete results from the Section 1 Championships, which included other Oak Ridge athletes who competed but did not qualify for state, here.
See the boys’ qualifiers for the state track meet here.