The section of South Illinois Avenue between Bethel Valley Road and Lafayette Drive remains closed after a crash knocked over a high-voltage transmission tower on Friday afternoon, the Oak Ridge Police Department said Saturday morning.
The ORPD posted a roadway update at 10 a.m. Saturday. Officers advised drivers to seek alternate routes and expect delays.
Police expect the road to remain closed throughout the evening. Both northbound and southbound lanes are blocked.
Here are detour routes:
Northbound (toward Knoxville)
- Turn onto Scarboro Road from South Illinois Avenue
- Turn left onto Bethel Valley Road
- Merge onto South Illinois Avenue
- From South Illinois Avenue, turn left onto Lafayette Drive
- Turn right onto Emory Valley Road
- Turn right onto Edgemoor Road and follow to South Illinois Avenue
Southbound (from Knoxville):
- Take Bethel Valley Road from South Illinois Avenue
- Turn right onto Scarboro Road to South Illinois Avenue
- Take the Edgemoor Road exit from South Illinois Avenue
- Turn left onto Melton Lake Drive
- Turn left onto Emory Valley Road or Oak Ridge Turnpike
More information will be added as it becomes available.
You can contact John Huotari, owner and publisher of Oak Ridge Today, at (865) 951-9692 or [email protected]
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
We also accept donations. You can donate here.
Copyright 2021 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.