ORNL Federal Credit Union is requiring face masks in all branch offices starting today (Friday, July 3).
The credit union announced the policy in response to a decision by the Knox County Board of Health. The health board approved a public health order this week that requires masks in most indoor public places, the credit union said. Financial institutions are not exempt. The public health order, which is effective today, is in response to the increasing number of local and national COVID cases.
ORNL Federal Credit Union said face masks will be required in all of its branch offices, not just Knox County branches. Disposable face masks will be provided to members who do not have one, the credit union said. People who enter a branch without a mask will be asked to use the credit union’s digital or drive-through services.
It’s the first report of a business or financial institution in Oak Ridge requiring all who enter to wear masks, although masks are required in some other types of facilities, such as in the Methodist Medical Center emergency department.
ORNL Federal Credit Union said it continues to limit the number of people allowed inside each branch in response to the increase in COVID-19 in Tennessee.
“This allows for safe social distancing between members and staff,” the credit union said.
The following precautions are also still in place:
- Branch staff are required to wear face masks when interacting with members.
- Hand sanitizer has been made available in all branches.
- Water fountains and coffee are not available.
- Public restrooms are closed.
- Floor decals have been added to promote social distancing, allowing six feet between members in line.
- Due to continued concerns related to crowd size and social distancing, the in-store branches located in Clinton Food City, Middlebrook Pike Food City, Farragut Kroger, and Oak Ridge Walmart remain closed at this time. Although it is also closed, the Maynardville Food City Branch ITMs are available.
“We appreciate your patience and cooperation,” the credit union said.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
You can contact John Huotari, owner and publisher of Oak Ridge Today, at (865) 951-9692 or [email protected]
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2020 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.