Oak Ridge City Court was scheduled to resume in-person court proceedings today (Monday, May 11), with some changes because of COVID-19.
The changes, made for health and safety reasons, include:
- One person will be allowed in the courtroom at a time, in addition to the judge and other courtroom staff.
- You may bring an attorney and witnesses with you for contested citations. However, other non-essential people will not be permitted inside the building with you.
- The Oak Ridge Fire Department will screen and temperature-check everyone before entry.
- Everyone will remain six feet apart, even while waiting in line to enter the courtroom.
- People are advised to wear gloves in addition to masks or face coverings.
There are some instances where you may be able to handle a citation over the phone. Therefore, it is important that only those who need to physically appear before the judge show up at court, a press release said.
You can call the Court Clerk’s Office at (865) 425-3536 before your scheduled hearing for guidance on the following:
- if you’d like to pay a ticket in advance,
- if you have a physical disability that would prevent you from being able to walk up steps or you have a compromised immune system and don’t want to risk exposure to the virus,
- if you’d like to sign up for a driver’s training class to avoid points on your license from a speeding ticket, or
- if you’re unsure if or when you need appear in court.
All cases scheduled during the time court was closed due to COVID-19 have been reset by the City Court Clerk’s Office, the press release said. Notifications of new court dates were sent by mail to the addresses listed on citations. If you did not receive notification of a new court date by April 1, call the City Court Clerk’s Office at (865) 425-3536.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
You can contact John Huotari, owner and publisher of Oak Ridge Today, at (865) 951-9692 or [email protected]
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
We also accept donations. You can donate here.
Copyright 2020 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.