A few inches of snow are possible on Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service in Morristown.
There is a 30 percent chance of snow after 4 a.m. Tuesday in Oak Ridge, and snow is likely, mainly after 7 a.m., with a 70 percent chance of precipitation, forecasters said. Local school districts will be closed Tuesday because of the winter weather.
One to two inches of snow are possible Tuesday, and the high is forecast at 28 degrees Fahrenheit, the National Weather Service said.
The chance of snow on Tuesday night is 40 percent, mainly before 1 a.m. Wednesday. The low is forecast at 11 degrees, and the wind chill will be between 3 and 8, the National Weather Service said.
The snow is expected to start falling in the northern and western parts of Anderson County between 6 and 9 a.m., and snow is forecast in the southern and eastern parts of the county between 9 a.m. and noon.
“Accumulating snow is expected to begin along the plateau in the morning hours and progress eastward through the day,” the National Weather Service said. “Roads may become snow-covered and slick soon after the beginning of snow, with temperatures below freezing on Tuesday afternoon and evening.”
The snow andÂ frigid temperatures are being brought by anÂ arctic cold front moving across the Tennessee Valley and southern Appalachians on Tuesday.Â Snowfall of one to three inches is expected Tuesday into early Tuesday night.
“Please stay tuned to the latest forecast for further updates,” the National Weather Service said.
Temperatures are expected to stay cold on Wednesday, with a high of 24 and wind chill values between zero and 10, before dropping to 12 on Wednesday night. The temperature is forecast to climb above freezing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
See the National Weather Service in Morristown website here.
See the Oak Ridge forecast here.
More information will be added as itÂ becomes available.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2018 Oak Ridge Today.Â All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.