The Oak Ridge girls soccer team shut out Halls 10-0 at home on Tuesday, and the Lady Wildcats advance to the district championship game at Powell on Thursday. Win or lose, Oak Ridge is guaranteed a game in the Region 2-AAA tournament that starts Tuesday, Coach Jeff Trombly said.
Six Lady Wildcats scored against the Lady Red Devils on Tuesday. Senior Macy Barclay had three goals, and sophomore Zoe Van Hook and freshman Kate Hausladen each had two. Adding one goal each were senior Katie Welsh, junior Leah Scudder, and sophomore Alex Rouse.
Barclay also had two assists, both on the goals by Hausladen. Scudder, sophomore Katie Roach, and freshman Valerie Carter also had one assist each.
It was the second time Oak Ridge has shut out Halls this season. On August 20, the Lady Wildcats beat the Lady Red Devils 7-0. Hausladen scored five goals in that game.
“We’re just a little more mature, more experienced,” Trombly said of the even-larger win over Halls on Tuesday. Also, the Lady Wildcats are well rested; they only played one game last week, he said.
Oak Ridge (13-3, 4-1 District 3-AAA) lost to Powell 4-1 during the regular season on September 10. The Lady Panthers got off to a good early start in that game, and Powell sophomore Raygan Scarbrough scored three goals, a hat trick, in the first half.
“We can’t give up the early goals,” Trombly said when asked what the Lady Wildcats need to do differently this time against Powell (9-4-3, 5-0).
Here is a scoring summary from the Tuesday night game against Halls:
- Hausladen in the 6th minute (first half), with an assist by Barclay;
- Barclay in the 8th minute, with an assist by Scudder;
- Hausladen in the 16th minute, with an assist by Barclay;
- Barclay in the 18th minute, unassisted;
- Barclay in the 20th minute, with an assist by Rouse;
- Scudder in the 36th minute, unassisted;
- Rouse in the 57th minute (second half), with an assist by Carter;
- Van Hook in the 75th minute, unassisted;
- Welsh in the 76th minute, unassisted;
- Van Hook in the 78th minute of the 80-minute game, unassisted.
The district championship game starts at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 15, at Powell Middle School.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Copyright 2015 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.