The cleanup will be costly for a local restaurant and its sister restaurant in Knoxville after they were hit by an overnight scam related to their fire alarm and fire suppression system, authorities said.
Here’s how the scam worked, according to Oak Ridge Deputy Fire Chief Josh Waldo: “An individual called both of the restaurants and indicated that there was a gas leak in the building and instructed the workers to activate their commercial fire suppression system and their fire alarm system and then break out a window for ventilation. This is a scam that has been pulled off before in town and in other jurisdictions as well.”
A press release from the City of Oak Ridge there was no problem at either restaurant, but the activation of the suppression system and ensuing cleanup will be costly for both businesses as they will be closed until repairs are made.
Waldo said this same scam has happened in hotels and other restaurants across the nation before.
“We urge anyone who doesn’t understand how their fire alarm, sprinkler system, or commercial suppression system to contact us or their service provider for information on the system,” he said in the press release said.
The press release said any attempt by someone calling into a business advising someone to activate any of their fire service features should be treated as suspicious, and the business should either contact their alarm company or fire department for further assistance.
Contact Waldo for more information at the Oak Ridge Fire Department at (865) 425-3520.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Copyright 2015 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.