Sound Company Children’s Choir of Oak Ridge will celebrate their 10th anniversary by performing their greatest hits from the past decade this weekend.
There will be three performances, one at 9:30 a.m. Friday, a second at 7 p.m., and a third at 3 p.m. Saturday. All shows will be performed at the Historic Grove Theater at High Places Church.
Organizers have invited all Sound Company alumni to attend and sing a few songs with current Sound Company performers. Here are some of the songs to be performed during this anniversary show:
- Toos Choir, grades 1 and 2—“Castle on a Cloud” from “Les Miserables,” “Dr. Jazz,” and “Manamana”;
- Juniors Choir, grades 3-5—“Rainbow Connection” and “Manamana” from “The Muppets,” and “Little Beggar Man”;
- ETC Choir, grades 6-8—“Celebration,” “We Are Young,” “Footloose,” and “Going Up Yonder”;
- ETC Choir and Senior Choir, grades 9-12—“Life’s A Happy Song” from “The Muppets,” “You Can Be Whoever,” “Get Happy,” and “Music is the Language,” written by Sound Company director Terry Silver-Alford;
- Senior Choir—“American Optimist,” “Disco Fever” (a medley of 70s dance hits), “Somebody to Love” (Glee arrangement), and “Joyful, Joyful,” from “Sister Act,” the senior guys.
All four choirs will combine to sing “You Decide,” also written by Silver-Alford.
The concert will also feature Sound Company’s a cappella quartets, as well as solos sung by graduating high school seniors Chris Martin, Chris Gillenwaters, Lindsay Chinn, Jenna Hulsey, Emma Henderson, and Kayla Wyatt.
The Friday morning show will be slightly shorter to accommodate school and community groups. Schools, nursing homes, assisted living, and group homes are invited to attend. The Friday morning show admission cost is discounted for community groups.
Tickets will be available at the door, or they can be purchased in advance from a Sound Company member. For group ticket inquiries, contact Rebecca Bowman at [email protected].
High Places Church is located at 123 Randolph Road.
Sound Company is already busy planning shows with the Nashville Singers this fall and a Christmas concert with the Oak Ridge Symphony Orchestra, a press release said.
Sound Company Children’s Choir is a multi-age performing choir based in Oak Ridge and directed by Katy Wolfe-Zahn, Terry Silver-Alford, Mariana Garciagodoy, and Kathy Gillenwaters. The company is comprised of over 100 children ranging from first through 12th grades from schools and communities in East Tennessee. Sound Company performs in Oak Ridge, Knoxville, and other areas in East Tennessee.
For information on Sound Company, visit www.soundcompanytn.net or find Sound Company Children’s Performing Choir on Facebook.