An Anderson County man was flown to a burn unit in Chattanooga after reportedly setting himself on fire with gasoline in Claxton on Sunday, authorities said.
The 36-year-old man poured gasoline on his head and set himself on fire Sunday morning, the Anderson County Sheriff’s Department said in a report. He was apparently having medical and other issues, Anderson County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy Mark Lucas said.
The self-immolation was reported on Palm Lane near Claxton Elementary School at about 9:20 a.m. Sunday.
Lucas said the man was transported to the football field at Claxton Elementary School by Anderson County Emergency Medical Services, where a Lifestar medical helicopter picked him up and flew him to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville. The man was transferred from UT to a burn unit at Erlanger Health System in Chattanooga by Lifestar.
Lucas said he didn’t know the man’s condition at that time.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Copyright 2015 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.