The Oak Ridge Wildcats swim team finished fourth out of 40 teams in the Knox-area Interscholastic Swim League (KISL) City Championship Meet at the University of Tennessee on Sunday.
With the fourth-place finish, the Wildcats have had top five finishes in back-to-back years at KISL for the first time in KISL records dating back to 1997.
“In fact, the highest place Oak Ridge High School had ever placed since 1997 is seventh back in 2003,” a press release said.
The Sunday swim meet was in the Allan Jones Aquatic Center at UT.
Out of 22 ORHS swimmers, nine swimmers competed in the finals, the press release said.
Here are meet results:
- Women’s 200 Medley Relay—Sidney Ozcan, Mason Fischer, Ella Kendall, Amelia Hodge— 2:00.80, 9th place
- Men’s 200 Medley Relay—Andrew Chou, Colin Suddeth, Tais Brown, Steven Zhukov—1:43.74, 4th place
- Women’s 200 Free—Ella Kendall—2:02.76, 5th place
- Men’s 200 Free—Tais Brown—1:49.45, 4th place
- Women’s 200 Individual Medley (IM)—Mason Fischer—2:22.15, 8th place
- Men’s 200 IM—Andrew Chou—1:58.52, 2nd place
- Men’s 50 Free—Stephen Zhukov—22.95, 5th place (tied)
- Women’s 100 Fly—Ella Kendall—58.90, 2nd place
- Men’s 100 Fly—Tais Brown—52.11, 1st place
- Women’s 100 Free—Amelia Hodge—1.00.38, 12th place
- Men’s 500 Free—Stephen Zhukov—4:57.33, 3rd place
- Men’s 100 Back—Andrew Chou—52.69, 1st place
- Women’s 100 Breast—Mason Fischer—1:13.54, 7th place
- Men’s 100 Breast—Colin Suddeth—1:07.36, 13th place
- Women’s 400 Free Relay—Ella Kendall, Sidney Ozcan, Amelia Hodge, Mason Fischer—4:03.52, 5th place
- Men’s 400 Free Relay—Andrew Chou, Colin Suddeth, Steven Zhukov, Tais Brown—3:29.98, 2nd place
HLA (Homelife Academy) swimmer:
- Women’s 100 Yard Free—Rosalie Wenhame—59.18, 8th place
- Women’s 500 Yard Free—Rosalie Wenhame—5:32.80, 7th place
The Wildcats will next compete at the TISCA Championship Meet February 11-12 in Nashville, and will wrap up the season, the press release said.
Here is information about the mid-January meet that wrapped up the regular season for the Wildcats, who compiled a 5-2 record.
The Oak Ridge swim team competed against Knoxville Halls on Tuesday, January 11, and came away with a 187-91 victory on Senior Night. Even though Oak Ridge High School was missing three of its top swimmers, many other swimmers on the team picked up the slack and came away with a convincing victory.
During the 10-minute break between the 50 Free and 100 Fly, the seniors swam their final lap as an ORHS swimmer. Those seniors included Tais Brown, Mason Fischer, Sidney Ozcan, Claudia Trabalka, Finn Thornton, Robert Vogt, Beatrice Shea, Eli Sampsel, Charlie Burge, and Santiago Acevedo.
The last meet for all swimmers was the KISL City Championship meet on Sunday, January 23, at UT.
For a select few swimmers, there is still the TISCA State meet in Nashville on Friday, February 11, and Saturday, February 12.
Here are results from the Halls meet:
“We won 17 out of 22 events and placed 2nd in 11 of 22 events,” a press release said. “Multiple KISL cuts were made as well.”
- Girls 200 Medley Relay—Rosalee Wenhame, Mason Fischer, Sidney Ozcan, Natalie Steger
- Boys 200 Medley Relay—Quentin Vanatta, Colin Suddeth, Tais Brown, Dylan Hodge
- Girls 200 Free—Amelia Hodge
- Boys 200 Free—Tais Brown
- Girls 200 IM—Rosalee Wenhame
- Girls 50 Free—Mason Fischer
- Boys 50 Free—Dylan Hodge
- Girls 100 Fly—Natalie Steger
- Boys 100 Fly—Tais Brown
- Girls 100 Free—Sidney Ozcan
- Girls 500 Free—Mason Fischer
- Girls 200 Free Relay—Amelia Hodge, Claudia Trabalka, Natalie Steger, Sarah Cherry
- Girls 100 Back—Rosalee Wenhame
- Boys 100 Back—Quentin Vanatta
- Boys 100 Breast—Colin Suddeth
- Girls 400 Free Relay—Rosalee Wenhame, Sidney Ozcan, Amelia Hodge, Mason Fischer
- Boys 400 Free Relay—Quentin Vanatta, Tais Brown, Dylan Hodge, Colin Suddeth
*During the regular season this year, Tais Brown came in first in every single individual event and relay team event,” the press release said.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today!
Alternatively, you can donate to support our work here. Thank you for your support!
Copyright 2021 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.