ORAU has re-launched its Extreme Classroom Makeover competition, which will award a math or science teacher $25,000 for new classroom equipment, and video applications are due Friday, January 14.
“The mission of Extreme Classroom Makeover is to improve science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education in public schools,” a press release said.
The competition will award one 3rd through 10th grade math or science teacher at a public school within a 50-mile radius of Oak Ridge with $25,000 in new equipment to update their classroom with the latest technology, the press release said. One runner-up will receive $5,000 in new equipment. There will also be a $2,500 viewers’ choice award selected by the general public from among all entries received.
Teachers interested in an ORAU Extreme Classroom Makeover need to complete a video application by Friday, January 14, the press release said. Winners will be notified before Spring Break, and the technology will be purchased and installed in their classrooms for the start of the 2022-23 school year.
“The pandemic has taught us that technology is vital for every teacher in every classroom in every school,” said Pam Bonee, director of communications and marketing for ORAU. “Still, some schools do not have the budgets to keep pace with changing technology. Having $25,000 worth of interactive technology would give a boost to any student trying to learn STEM in today’s world!”
To be eligible for the competition, teachers must:
- Teach science or math for 3rd through 10th grade.
- Work for a public school within a 50-mile radius of Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Submit a three-to-four-minute video creatively illustrating the need and possible uses of technology in their classroom.
- Additional information, including the application and video submission portal can be found here: https://oraustem.com/extreme-classroom-makeover.html.
- Deadline to submit video applications is Friday, January 14, 2022.
A panel of educators and ORAU staff will determine the wining classroom. Entries will be judged on how well they:
- Demonstrate or explain the need for technology.
- Demonstrate or explain the possible use of technology.
- Demonstrate overall creativity in the entry.
- Provide an explanation of the teaching philosophy and/or approach that will be used to expand the STEM learning experience and encourage students to pursue careers in STEM fields.
For questions about Extreme Classroom Makeover, send an email to [email protected].
For more information on the ORAU Extreme Classroom Makeover contest, visit https://oraustem.com/extreme-classroom-makeover.html.
In addition, ORAU will launch a revamped Education Grants program in Spring 2022 with expanded eligibility for teachers in more East Tennessee counties.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today!
Alternatively, you can donate to support our work here. Thank you for your support!
Copyright 2021 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.