Showers and thunderstorms Friday morning brought high cirrus clouds to the region, affecting temperatures this afternoon, the National Weather Service said.
“Therefore, the heat advisory has been canceled,” said the NWS in Morristown.
However, high temperatures are still expected in the low 90s with heat indices above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the Weather Service said.
A hazardous weather outlook that includes East Tennessee said temperatures in the low to mid 90s are expected today in the southern Tennessee Valley and southern Cumberland Plateau, along with heat indices of more than 100.
The hazardous weather outlook includes Anderson County.
“Heat deaths are preventable,” the National Weather Service said. “Those outdoors should take frequent breaks in air conditioning, and drink plenty of water to remain hydrated. Never leave people or pets unattended in vehicles.”
The temperature in Oak Ridge is forecast to hit a high near 90 on Friday, with heat index values as high as 97.
The high on Saturday is forecast to be higher, near 92.
Cooler temperatures in the mid-80s are forecast to start on Sunday.
There is a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon, and a 40 percent chance of rain showers and thunderstorms Saturday night, mostly after 10 p.m. The chance of showers increases to 60 percent on Sunday.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today!
Alternatively, you can donate to support our work here. Thank you for your support!
Copyright 2021 Oak Ridge Today.Â All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.