The Secret City Half Marathon and 5K is in Oak Ridge on Saturday, and there will be some lane closures on city streets.
Registrations for the 5K are full, and there are fewer than 30 registrations left for the in-person half marathon, a press release said.
There is no limit for registrations for the virtual race, the press release said.
It’s a rare in-person half marathon in 2020, the release said. On race day, a time trial-style start will help ensure social distancing among the runners, after a temperature check for participants, the press release said.
More than 750 runners and walkers are expected to race, and the lane closures on city streets are to accommodate the competitors.
Volunteers will begin placing cones along the course at 6 a.m., the press release said. Races start at 9 a.m., and the Oak Ridge Police Department and Anderson County Sheriff’s Office deputies will direct and stop traffic for runners as needed. No roads will be closed due to the race traffic, but motorists should expect minor delays on Melton Lake Drive and Emory Valley Road.
The half marathon and 5K both start and finish at the Melton Lake Peninsula. The half marathon route (13.1 miles) is as follows:
- South from the peninsula onto Melton Lake Drive, turning right onto Union Valley Road, then right onto Illinois Avenue.
- Illinois Avenue, merging right onto Lafayette Drive, then right onto Emory Valley Road.
- Emory Valley Road, turning right onto Briarcliff Avenue, then left onto South Columbia Avenue.
- South Columbia, turning left back onto Emory Valley Road, then right onto Briarcliff Avenue.
- Briarcliff Avenue, merging right onto Laboratory Road, then merging right onto the Oak Ridge Turnpike.
- Oak Ridge Turnpike, turning right onto Fairbanks Road, then left onto Warehouse Road.
- Warehouse Road, turning right onto Melton Lake Drive, then left back into the Melton Lake peninsula.
The 5K route (3.1 miles) is as follows:
- North from the peninsula onto Melton Lake Drive, turning right onto Oak Ridge Turnpike.
- Immediate right into Elza Gate Park, then back down Melton Lake Dr. greenway.
Online registration and race information for both races can be found by visiting www.SecretCityHalfMarathon.com.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
You can contact John Huotari, owner and publisher of Oak Ridge Today, at (865) 951-9692 or [email protected]
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, sponsors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
We also accept donations. You can donate here.
Copyright 2020 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.