An Oak Ridge family, including two children, were able to escape safely when a kitchen fire spread to an attic on Bunker Lane on Wednesday, firefighters said.
The fire was reported just after 10 p.m. on Wednesday, January 2.
The residents said they were cooking on the stove when a pan of grease caught fire, the Oak Ridge Fire Department said. The residents were able to slow the spread of the fire with an extinguisher, but flames quickly extended through the stove hood and into the attic, the ORFD said.
“All family members inside the home at the time of the fire, including two children under the age of six, were able to escape safely,” the ORFD said.
Anderson County EMS transported one adult male to Parkwest Medical Center to be evaluated for smoke inhalation, the Fire Department said.
Firefighters were at the home until approximately 11:45 p.m. Wednesday. The home sustained moderate damage in the kitchen and attic areas, the ORFD said. The American Red Cross of East Tennessee responded to provide temporary housing.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Most news stories on Oak Ridge Today are free, brought to you by Oak Ridge Today with help from our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. This is a free story. Thank you to our advertisers, contributors, and subscribers. You can see what we cover here.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2018 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.