The Oak Ridge High School Wildcat and Lady Wildcat tennis teams braved a recent 37-degree wind chill to start their 2018 season. They will host 12 home matches this spring on the public courts located Oak Ridge High School at 1450 Oak Ridge Turnpike, across from the Oak Ridge Civic Center.
The 14 Wildcats and 26 Lady Wildcats worked hard to prepare for their first match this past Monday (February 26) with Grace Christian Academy, a press release said. The team had its annual pancake breakfast fundraiser at Aubrey‘s on South Illinois Avenue on Saturday, February 24. Funds raised during the breakfast will be used for items like the new storage shed located at the courts and ball machines purchased by the Tennis Booster Club.
“This equipment has provided quality teaching tools sorely needed to help a large number of players hone their skills and compete successfully on the courts,” said Coach Joanne Bowman. The ball machines have given students the opportunity to hit thousands of balls during the season, helping advanced and novice players build confidence in their ball striking skills, Bowman said.
You can see the season schedule below. All are home matches except for Halls and Powell.
Oak Ridgers are encouraged to drop in and support both teams as they pursue their first victories of the season, the press release said. Parking for the matches is available at the Turnpike entrance to Oak Ridge High School.
2018 ORHS TENNIS SCHEDULE—*Denotes District Matches
- Aubrey’s Pancake Fundraiser: 8-10 a.m. February 24
- Grace Christian Academy: 4:15 February 26
- Knoxville Catholic: 5 March 6
- Concord Christian: 4:15 March 8
- *Gibbs High School: 4 March 27
- Maryville High School: 5 March 29
- *Anderson County: 4:15 April 2
- *Central High School 4:30 April 9
- Hardin Valley Academy: 4:15 April 10
- *Clinton High School: 4 April 16
- *Halls High School: 4 AWAY MATCH at Tyson Park, Knoxville April 18
- *Campbell County: 4 April 19
- *Union County: 4:30 April 23
- *Powell High School: 4:15 AWAY MATCH at Tyson Park, Knoxville April 26
- L&N STEM Academy: 4:30 April 30