A cold, snowy night seemed a fitting way to celebrate one of Oak Ridge’s favorite tradition—the Oak Ridge Christmas Parade. Approximately 120 entries participated in the parade. This year’s parade theme was “A Toyland Christmas” and was a part of the 75th Anniversary Celebration of Oak Ridge.
Judges awarded seven awards following the parade:
- Spectacular Sparkles Award (given to the outstanding entry that presents an outstanding display of lights and/or other type of illumination)—The Oak Ridge Electric Department;
- Elfin Magic Award (given to the outstanding entry featuring children as the main part of the entry)—Soccer Club of Oak Ridge (SCOR);
- Spirit Award (given to the entry that has the most enthusiasm during the parade)—Robertsville Middle School Cheerleaders;
- Director’s Award (given to the best walking/marching group)—The Southern Alliance Dance Company (SADC);
- Chamber Award (given to the overall outstanding entry presenting and illustrating the parade theme)—University of Tennessee Forest Resources AgResearch and Education Center/Arboretum; and
- Judge’s Award (given to the entry that has the best overall originality, creativity, appearance, and uniqueness of decorations)—Oak Ridge High School First Robotics Team.
Parker Hardy, president and chief executive officer of the Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce said: “Thanks to all our wonderful volunteer parade marshals and judges for helping to make the parade a successful and safe event. And, of course we appreciate all the hundreds of people involved in putting together and being a part of each of the parade entries who participated.”
Greta Ownby, executive vice president of the Chamber added, “Our sincere thanks also goes to Brad Jones at BBB Communications, Oak Ridge Public Works, Oak Ridge Police Department, Oak Ridge Fire Department, Oak Ridge Parks & Recreation, and The Cowperwood Company.”
Next year’s parade will be held on Saturday, December 8, at 6 p.m. The theme will be “A Fantasy of Lights.” The Chamber has already begun taking registrations for the parade and several entries have already registered.
This press release was submitted by Kathy Gillenwaters.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2017 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.