CLAXTON—A resident escaped when a fire destroyed a storage building and damaged a home on Old Edgemoor Lane in Claxton late Sunday morning.
The Anderson County Sheriff’s Department reported that the fire call came in to the 911 center a little before 11:30 a.m. Sunday. When deputies arrived, they found the storage building engulfed in flames, along with the portion of the home closest to the outbuilding, according to WYSH Radio in Clinton.
Deputies reported that the homeowner, Kathrine Lively, told them she had just finished using her lawn mower and put it back in the shed when she went inside to take a shower. A few minutes later, she heard someone at her door yelling at her that she needed to come outside.
Dustin Sharpe, assistant chief of the Claxton Volunteer Fire Department, said the fire destroyed the outbuilding and burned through a wall of the home, where it burned one room and its contents.
No injuries were reported, but on Sunday afternoon, Sharpe said the resident might be taken for a medical examination just to be certain.
The cause of the fire and the amount of damage weren’t clear Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters had the blaze under control within about seven minutes, Sharpe said. The Claxton Volunteer Fire Department had mutual aid from Oak Ridge Fire Department and Rural/Metro Fire Department. Anderson County Emergency Medical Services and Anderson County Sheriff’s Department also responded.
WYSH Radio in Clinton is an Oak Ridge Today news partner.