Information from WYSH Radio
A house on Carden Road in Clinton was destroyed by a Sunday afternoon fire.
Clinton Fire Chief Archie Brummitt told WYSH Radio in Clinton that the residents of 194 Carden Road had been getting ready to cook “dipping dogs” and had left grease in a pan on the stove to warm up while they ran to the store for a few last-minute items.
When they returned, their house was on fire.
Firefighters reported heavy black smoke coming from under the eaves of the house and flames coming from the back of the structure. CUB cut the power to the home, and fire crews began attacking the blaze from outside the house and on the interior. The firefighters inside were ordered out after the incident commanders determined that the fire was spreading quickly through the attic, which could have led to a ceiling collapse.
Crews continued battling the fire, cutting a hole in the exterior to better access the flames. Once the fire was knocked down enough, firefighters re-entered the house and put out the remaining hot spots.
The house was described as a total loss but thankfully, no injuries were reported.
In addition to the Clinton Fire Department, crews from the Claxton Volunteer Fire Department, the Clinton Police Department, Anderson County Emergency Management, and and the Anderson County EMS responded to the scene.
The fire was reported at around 2:15 p.m. Sunday and the scene was cleared shortly after 5 p.m.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
WYSH Radio in Clinton is an Oak Ridge Today news partner.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2017 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.