More snow fell in Oak Ridge on Friday night, and parts of many roads, including Pellissippi Parkway going into Knox County, were snow-covered and slippery.
Before midnight Friday, sections of roadway were clear on Oak Ridge Turnpike and Illinois Avenue in central Oak Ridge, but many side streets, including heavily traveled roads like Tennessee Avenue and New York Avenue, were covered by a layer of snow. Other snow-covered roads included Tulane and Rutgers avenues, and Providence and Robertsville roads.
The National Weather Service in Morristown advised people to stay off the roads, unless travel is absolutely necessary.
“The combination of snow and ice accumulations, along with subfreezing temperatures will create hazardous travel conditions,” the NWS said. “Any untreated roads will remain treacherous overnight and into tomorrow morning (even after precipitation tapers off) as temperatures remain below freezing. If you absolutely must travel, check road conditions first, use extreme caution, and allow extra time to reach your destination.”
The Knoxville Police Department reported on snow-covered roads and slick spots in Knoxville on Friday night, including Clinton Highway, Kingston Pike, and Interstate 40 and Interstate 75, especially overpasses and entry/exit ramps.
Here is the National Weather Service forecast for Oak Ridge through Monday, as of early Saturday:
- Friday night—Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 15. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Saturday—A 30 percent chance of snow before 10 a.m. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 25. Wind chill values between 4 and 14. North wind around 10 mph.
- Saturday night—Mostly clear, with a low around 10. Northwest wind around 5 mph, becoming calm after midnight.
- Sunday—Sunny, with a high near 31. Wind chill values between 5 and 15. Northeast wind around 5 mph.
- Sunday night—Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Monday—Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Do you appreciate this story or our work in general? If so, please consider a monthly subscription to Oak Ridge Today. See our Subscribe page here. Thank you for reading Oak Ridge Today.
Copyright 2016 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.