Note: ThisÂ story was last updated at 10:20 a.m.
An Oak Ridge man rescued a disoriented woman from a porch during a house fire on Robertsville Road on Friday evening, authorities said.
The fire was reported at 7:22 p.m. Friday at 394 Robertsville Road.
Firefighters foundÂ heavy fire and smoke coming from the windows and attic of the home when they arrived, Oak Ridge Fire Chief Darryl Kerley said.
Jacky L. Smith, of Oak Ridge, said he was driving west on Robertsville Road when he noticed smoke coming from the house. He turned around and found Ruth Stewart sitting on her front porch confused. He asked Stewart if she knew her house was on fire and she replied, â€œYes, I was cooking, and the stove caught on fire,â€ Kerley said in a press release.
Stewart was disoriented and did not want to leave the porch, so Smith carried her to the road and called 911 to report the fire. Stewart was transported to Methodist Medical Center by Anderson County Emergency Medical Services to be evaluated for smoke inhalation.
There were no other injuries, but Kerley said the home is destroyed. He saidÂ Red Cross and MMC staff will work with Stewartâ€™s relatives to locate suitable lodging for her.
More information will be added as itÂ becomes available.
Copyright 2016 Oak Ridge Today.Â All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.