The Oak Ridge Fire Department released a few simple safety tips for the holidays on Tuesday.
Here are the tips:
- Make sure you keep your live Christmas tree watered daily. A dried-out tree can cause a house fire in less than 60 seconds.
- Do not leave any lit candles unattended. Pets could knock over a burning candle which could result in a house fire.
- After unwrapping holiday gifts, consider recycling the wrapping paper and cardboard boxes instead of burning the waste in a fireplace. A surplus of combustible materials could create a fire hazard and could create a chimney fire.
The Fire Department said it wishes all residents a safe and happy holiday season.
Copyright 2015 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.