Note: This story was last updated at 12:20 p.m.
Reminder: The Secret City Festival is this weekend. The festival kicks off with an opening ceremony at 11:30 a.m. Friday, and it continues through Saturday evening.
- concerts featuring nationally known entertainers;
- live music and entertainment;
- expanded toddler’s, children’s, and teen’s areas;
- World War II living history activities and demonstrations;
- Oak Ridge history exhibits;
- regional exhibitors and vendors;
- arts and crafts;
- TN Creates juried arts show; and
- festival food, fun, and more.
There will be a Battle of Normandy World War II reenactment at the Secret City Festival this year. Scheduled to attend the reenactment are:
- the only fully live firing German Flak 88 in the United States, which will perform firing demonstrations;
- authentic Allied vehicles including jeeps, armored halftracks, scout cars, and anti-tank artillery;
- authentic Axis vehicles including a German Stug III Ausf G assault tank, Panzer III command tank, a Sd. Kfz 251 halftrack, and a mounted Flak 38, just to name a few; and
- re-enactors representing American paratroopers and infantry, British paratroopers, German Wehrmacht, assault troops, and fallschirmjagers.
The battle re-enactment is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday, June 13.
Concert headliners this year are Three Dog Night on Friday evening and The Marshall Tucker Band on Saturday evening. Those shows start at 7 p.m., and gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Steve Rutledge and the Groove Evolution will open for The Marshall Tucker Band at the Secret City Festival on Friday, June 12, and Legacy will open for Three Dog Night on Saturday, June 13. Organizers have outlined security procedures for those who attend the concerts.
See the Secret City Festival website for more information. The Secret City Festival is presented by the City of Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Arts Council of Oak Ridge.
Here is the festival schedule:
2015 – Friday, June 12
|9 am-5 pm||American Museum of Science and Energy (AMSE) Special Exhibits||AMSE|
|11 am-6 pm||Exhibitors||Library Parking Lot and Surrounding|
|11 am-6 pm||Arts & Crafts Show||Library Parking Lot|
|11 am-6 pm||“TN Creates” Juried Arts & Crafts Fair presented by Oak Ridge Art Center||Civic Center Gym|
|11 am-7 pm||Children’s Games & Entertainment||Bissell Park|
|11 am-7 pm||Toddlers’ Games & Entertainment||Bissell Park Playground Area|
|11 am-7 pm||Youth Games & Entertainment||AMSE Field|
|11:30 am||Opening Ceremony and Sponsor Recognition||Pavilion|
|12 pm-5:45 pm||Entertainment on Pavilion Stage||Pavilion|
|12 pm-4 pm||Raku Pottery Firing and other Craft Demonstrations||Civic Center Gym|
2015 – Saturday, June 13
|9 am-5 pm||AMSE Special Exhibits||AMSE|
|10 am||“Tolling of the Boats” – US Smoky Mountain Submarine Veterans||Commemorative Walk|
|10 am-4 pm||Entertainment on Pavilion Stage||Pavilion|
|10 am-5 pm||Secret City “Cruise-In” Car Show presented by Clinton Region AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America)||AMSE Lower Parking Lot|
|2pm||The Battle of Normandy – WWII Reenactment||Bissell Park|
|10 am-6 pm||Exhibitors||Library Parking Lot & Surrounding|
|10 am-6 pm||Arts & Crafts Show||Library Parking Lot|
|10 am-6 pm||“TN Creates” Juried Arts & Crafts Fair presented by Oak Ridge Art Center||Civic Center Gym|
|10 am-7 pm||Children’s Games & Entertainment||Bissell Park|
|10 am-7 pm||Toddlers’ Games & Entertainment||Bissell Park Playground Area|
|10 am-7 pm||Youth Games & Entertainment||AMSE Fiel|
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Copyright 2015 Oak Ridge Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Leave a Reply