A Hillside Road duplex was damaged by fire early Thursday morning by a fire that officials believe was caused by smoking.
The fire at 4:30 a.m. Thursday at 136 Hillside Road forced the evacuation of a father and son. Neither of the residents were injured, and firefighters were able to rescue a pet cat, a City of Oak Ridge press release said.
Fire was visible from the rear of the residence when the Oak Ridge Fire Department arrived, the press release said. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading into the adjacent residence.
The duplex involved in the fire sustained significant damage, but the residents in the adjoining space were able to remain in their home, ORFD Deputy Chief Josh Waldo said in the press release.
A preliminary investigation suggests that a discarded cigarette on the deck of the residence might have been the cause of the fire, which spread to the inside of the residence. No firefighters were injured in the blaze, which took roughly 15 minutes to control.