The National Nuclear Security Administration has awarded six 2014 Sustainability Awards for innovation and excellence to the Pantex Plant and the Y-12 National Security Complex, both operated and managed by Consolidated Nuclear Security LLC, or CNS, a press release said.
“The awards recognize exemplary individual and team performance in advancing sustainability objectives through innovative and effective programs and projects that increase energy, water and fleet efficiency, and reduce greenhouse gases, pollution, and waste,” the release said.
“I am very proud of the CNS employees that were recognized by NNSA for the 2014 Sustainability Awards,” said CNS President Jim Haynes. “Our teams were acknowledged for excellence in environmental management, renewable energy, waste reduction, and pollution prevention, innovation, and communications, all important to our stewardship roles at Pantex and Y-12. We aim to be leaders in all we do for our nation’s security, and are proud to be recognized for leadership in sustainability.”
This year, NNSA selected five “Best in Class” and 10 “Environmental Stewardship” awards out of a total of 24 nominations submitted in 12 award categories. The release said the following Pantex and Y-12 efforts were recognized:
Best in Class Awards
- Exceptional Service/Sustainability Champion: Y-12’s Clarence Hill Cultivates the Seeds of Change (Y-12). The exceptional service/sustainability champion demonstrates a history of exemplary performance in leading implementation of sustainable practices while reflecting a comprehensive approach to energy and environmental management through innovative strategies, practices, and outreach.
- Renewable Energy: Pantex Renewable Energy Project (Pantex). This award category and selected project recognizes outstanding achievements in planning, design, and constructing renewable energy to replace or lower conventional energy consumption. This award recognizes the Pantex Plant for the renewable energy wind farm project.
- Waste Reduction and Pollution Prevention: Pantex Exceeding Waste Reduction Goals (Pantex). This award category and selected nomination recognizes innovative and effective waste-reduction programs that exceeded performance targets in the Pantex Plants Site’s Sustainability Plan.
Environmental Stewardship Awards
- Waste Reduction and Pollution Prevention: Y-12 Unneeded Materials and Chemicals Program (Y-12). This award category and selected nomination recognizes innovative and effective waste-reduction programs that exceed performance targets in Y-12’s Site Sustainability Plan.
- Innovation and Holistic Approach: Y-12 Sweeping it Clean (Y-12). This award category recognizes innovative methods and cross-disciplinary research at the site level to support sustainability goal attainment that includes innovative ideas to tackle broad-based sustainability issues.
- SustainABLE Communications: WhY-12 Must Communicate (Y-12). This award category recognizes successful and innovative communications and marketing strategies that promote sustainability goals, successes, and best practices with a focus on effective and unique outreach programs that engage stakeholders and discuss the benefits of sustainability.