A Monday evening fire burned through the roof of a home behind the Bread Box convenience store on Edgemoor Road in Claxton.
The fire at 110 S. Dogwood Road was reported at about 6:45 p.m. Monday, photographer Tom Scott said. It was originally reported as a kitchen fire, but the fire extended into the attic and burned through the roof, causing extensive damage.
Before firefighters arrived, a neighbor kicked open a door after hearing what sounded like a cry for help and freed a trapped cat, according to WYSH Radio in Clinton. No injuries were reported.
The initial response was by the Claxton Fire Department. In one of the larger Anderson County mutual aid operations in recent years, the Rural Metro, Andersonville, Marlow, Medford, and Briceville fire departments responded, and so did Anderson County Emergency Medical Services and the Anderson County Sheriff’s Department, Scott said. The American Red Cross also responded to help the residents.
Here are more pictures by Scott: