On Thanksgiving Day, an electrical fire broke out at the Applewood Apartments in the Highland View neighborhood. Eighteen people were displaced from their apartments while most of us were enjoying rich feasts with friends and families. Although the Red Cross was able to find these people temporary housing, they asked for help to meet the need of meals for these families.
On Monday morning checkout time, these families may be able to return to their apartments or they may have no place to go until the repairs are made to the electrical system of their building. The Red Cross representative said that because of the holiday and because many of these people couldn’t afford to have heat during this cold snap, they were able to extend the amount of care they could normally give. However, that will be ending and reaching beyond the scope of what they can further do during this emergency.
If these families are able to return home on Monday, the food in their refrigerators and freezers will be in ruin because of the lack of power. They will need these things replaced because they may not have the means to restock everything lost, including their Thanksgiving meals. There are currently efforts being made to try to meet these needs, but no final word on what can be made available to our neighbors.
These families live in our community. These families are our neighbors. It is our responsibility to take care of one another because nobody wants to find themselves displaced. Let’s work together to offer support during this troubled time for them. If you’d like to step up and help, please contact William Cramer at the Oak Ridge office of the American Red Cross at (865) 483-5641 or call Disaster Services Specialist Betty Kelly at the Knoxville office at (865) 584-2999.