By Sarah Jane Carson
It’s frustrating when you choose the godly road but seem to see other Christians acting any way they want, seeming to never get chastised for it. However, we should never allow other people’s actions to dictate our actions.
- Our actions aren’t pending on the actions of someone else.
- You will reap what you sow, so some day if all you have planted in your garden is cauliflower, you will eat cauliflower. In other words, if everyone seems to be grouchy to you all the time, quit being grouchy to others, especially the family God placed you in. God’s Word teaches: Treat others how you want to be treated. It doesn’t say except if they’re your family then it doesn’t matter. Remember, Jesus said He was sent to His family first (the Jews). God has His eyes right on how your attitude is around the family God placed you in. Why? Because you are your real self around family you are not trying to please, impress, or win; you are you, and that’s what matters most.
- When you follow God’s Way, not your way of doing things, you are laying up treasures in Heaven where moth and rust does not destroy, nor the thief steal. That’s why you treat family and others as Jesus did, that’s why you help those in need, that’s why you keep your cool, that’s why you love, obey God’s Word, follow in Jesus’ footsteps, forgive, and do good when it would be more satisfying to your flesh to resent, be offended, argue, hate, pout, fight, etc. You resist what flesh wants because you are laying up for yourself treasures in Heaven.
- Unfortunately, some will not have treasures in Heaven for they will have lived their life on earth obeying only their flesh (carnal Christians) never maturing into spiritual Christians. Carnal Christians only lay for themselves treasures here upon Earth where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal, giving no thought to what their spirit and God want. We cannot walk in the Spirit without the Holy Spirit’s help and Jesus’ help, and we have not because we ask not, for in asking we shall receive. We don’t have to be carnal Christians. Jesus walked in the spirit and so can we. He will guide us just as He guided Jesus. We need only ask Him.
- I want treasures in Heaven. How about you? So, it does matter. Stop reacting in the flesh, and respond in the Spirit. You are filling your treasure box in Heaven or leaving it empty.
- What’s in your treasure box. It’s not too late, you’re still here. Repent for your bad attitude, become a spiritual mature Christian. Don’t remain an immature carnal Christian.
- Begin each day with these thoughts:
This is the day My Lord has made, I choose to rejoice and be glad today (I choose to have a good, happy Godly attitude).
I’m going to play and have a good time in Jesus today, refusing to worry. I’m trusting God. He’s got me and everyone and everything I care about (Psalm 24:1-2). The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and its entire people belong to him. (Ecclesiastes 12:12-14) Solomon in all his wisdom, riches, etc., after trying everything concludes that only in walking in obedience to God’s Word will one find true happiness.
I’m going to make someone’s day today, not just live for myself.
I’m going to be fully present in mind and body of those I interact with at home and on the job.
Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.
Sarah Jane Carson and her husband Carl lead Living Branches Ministry. They have been in ministry more than 25 years, have pioneered two churches, and are currently evangelizing, singing, conducting workshops and seminars, and writing. They have three daughters who often work alongside them in the ministry.