A small fire around an electrical outlet in a bedroom on a multifamily home on Hamilton Circle was extinguished before firefighters arrived Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
Firefighters found light smoke and evidence of burning when they arrived at 102 Hamilton Circle at about 3 p.m. Tuesday, but they said the fire had not spread.
“The occupant advised that she smelled an odor and went to investigate,” an Oak Ridge Fire Department report said. “At the same time, the smoke detector alerted, and she found a small fire in the bedroom.”
A resident removed blankets that contained the fire, took them outside, and poured water on them, and called 911, the ORFD report said.
The report said the outlet involved had a power strip plugged into it with a two-prong adapter. A window-mounted air-conditioning unit was plugged into the strip, the report said.
The ORFD said fuses were removed, disconnecting power to the outlet, and authorities advised the residents to call their landlord. The Red Cross was asked to help with housing due to the heat, the report said.
Jason Allison says
What’s the news on the accident at Elza gate and the Turnpike, Friday? morning? I do know at one point there was a cardiac arrest.
I was in Knox County for an appointment Friday morning and just heard about this on my way back into Oak Ridge later Friday. I don’t have any details yet, but I’ll see what I can find out Monday.
Jason, here’s the story about the crash at Elza Drive on Friday: http://oakridgetoday.com/2013/07/15/three-taken-to-hospital-after-two-car-crash-on-oak-ridge-turnpike/
David A. Vudragovich says
Another reason to keep fire extinguishers around the house, particularly in the bedroom! My buddy Chip w LSI in Oak Ridge teaches this stuff!
Chip Dooley says
This had somewhat of a happy ending – meaning no one lost their life. This is not the norm and they were lucky. Fire’s double in size every 30 seconds and they tend to block your escape path before you know it. Life Safety Inspections – LSI, recommends people have an escape plan (and practice it), have two 5 lb ABC extinguishers (Buckeye is the only one that is 100% american made), don’t place an extinguisher where you also keep cleaning supplies — always have an extinguisher in your bedroom. For more information or questions call us 865-435-1505.