During a severe thunderstorm on Monday evening, theÂ Oak Ridge Fire Department responded to a call of a woman who had possibly been struck by lightning.
The woman reported she was standing by a window at aÂ Vanderbilt Drive home at about 7:19 p.m. Monday when she saw a bright flash of light and then had a funny feeling in her chest, ORFD Chief Darryl Kerley said Tuesday.
Firefighters evaluated the woman, whose name and age weren’t available, and Anderson County Emergency Medical Service took her to Methodist Medical Center for further evaluation.
Kerley said people generally don’t get electrocuted by lightning in their homes, but they can experience chest pains and anxiety from nearby strikes. He recommended staying away from windows and water, and out of showers and off of phones during thunderstorms. Televisions should also be turned off, Kerley said.
Kerley said people generally don’t survive direct strikes, but they can sometimes feel static electricity if they are near a strike.
More information will be added as it becomes available.