Emergency workers started evacuating about 100 people at an apartment complex and day care center on Friday morning after a pickup truck ruptured a two-inch natural gas line in central Oak Ridge.
The apparently unoccupied pickup truck, which might have popped out of gear, rolled down a small hill at Broadway Apartments on East Madison Road and into a gas meter, which was attached to the gas line, Oak Ridge Fire Chief Darryl Kerley said.
“It made a pretty significant leak,” he said.
A two-block area was sealed off from Kentucky to Michigan avenues, he said. The day care is at Chapel on the Hill behind the Alexander Inn, which is now being converted into an assisted living center.
Kerley said the Oak Ridge Utility District showed up quickly and they were able to stop the leak. Those who had been evacuated were able to return within about 30 minutes of the initial 8:30 a.m. call, he said.
kay williamson says
oak ridge utlity district does a great job for our city,,,