The Household Hazardous Waste Collection event will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Oak Ridge Public Works Building.
Items accepted include:
- Household cleaners: drain openers, polishers, and disinfectants;
- Home improvement and maintenance: adhesives, strippers, thinners, and removers;
- Home, lawn, and garden: herbicides, pesticides, poisons, fungicides, and wood preservatives;
- Automotive fluids: oil and fuel additives, starter fluids, solvents, cleaners, refrigerants, antifreeze*/coolants, and fuel; and
- Miscellaneous supplies: rechargeable batteries,* lithium batteries, button batteries, pool chemicals, chemicals from chemistry sets, medicines/drugs, aerosols/compressed gas, and photo processing chemicals.
Items that will not be accepted:
- Alkaline batteries**
- Medical and infectious waste
- Radioactive materials (including smoke detectors)
- Any empty containers
- Automotive oil*
- Lead ccid batteries*
- No commercial or agri-business materials.
* These items are accepted on a year-round basis at Anderson County’s Blockhouse Valley Road facility.
** Alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury and can be thrown away in the regular garbage.
For more information regarding the event, call Anderson County Solid Waste Management at (865) 463-5845. Other questions or comments can be directed to the Oak Ridge Public Works Department at (865) 425-1875.
The Oak Ridge Public Works Building is located at 100 Woodbury Lane.