A child admitted playing with a lighter under a bed in a home on East Tennessee Avenue when a mattress fire was found at about 7:04 p.m. Monday, an Oak Ridge Fire Department report said.
Firefighters reported light smoke inside the house when they arrived, and they quickly found a smoldering mattress fire in a bedroom inside, the report said.
They reported the fire was under control, ventilated the home, and removed the mattress and box frame.
Although they aren’t named in the report, two of the residents at the home said they were affected by smoke inhalation, and they were taken to Methodist Medical Center of Oak Ridge.
The report said the Oak Ridge Fire Department will recommend a follow-up with fire prevention.
Damage to contents in the home was estimated at $500.