Long John Silver’s could be closed at least a week after a grease hood in the kitchen caught on fire Saturday morning, Oak Ridge Fire Chief Darryl Kerley said.
Workers were “cranking up the grill” and turning on fryers when the hood caught on fire about 8:30 a.m., Kerley said. The fire extended into the ventilation system, and a fan motor on the roof burst into flames.
Firefighters cut a hole in the roof of the restaurant on Oak Ridge Turnpike and were able to extinguish the flames in about six to eight minutes, Kerley said.
“It’ll take them a while to get back in business,” he said.
This LJS is always so gross. I enjoy having LJS every once in awhile, but stopped due to the dirtiness of this particular location.
I was going out for breakfast this morning and saw this. I had to stop and snap a few pictures. I did see some of the flames at the top. Even though I didn’t eat there, still hate to see this happen.
Philip Nipper says
Fires like this should send a message regarding the local inspection processes associated with cleanliness, health inspections and fire prevention inspections. In general, I think the local enforcement of such inspections on eating establishments is less than adequate.
John Norris says
Tom Scott, always there supporting the Oak Ridge Fire Department with his on the spot photo coverage for the historical record.