The American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge has many new exhibitions and tours in June. Here is the museum’s June calendar of events.
- June 4 — The deadline to register for AMSE’s Summer Explorer Camp session, June 11-15, to be held at Freels Bend Cabin in Oak Ridge. AMSE Science Explorer Camp includes a tour of Oak Ridge National Laboratory, as well as special presentations by ORNL researchers.
- June 1 through 18 — “U.S. ITER Project” is an exhibition that explains a major international research project with the goal of demonstrating fusion energy. The U.S. ITER Project Office is hosted by ORNL with partners Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory in New Jersey and Savannah River National Laboratory in South Carolina.
- June 1 through Aug. 5—”Nikon Small World” is a traveling exhibition featuring 20 award winning photomicrographs of various science subjects on the nanoscale.
- June 1 through Dec. 2—”General Leslie R. Groves and the Manhattan Project” is a traveling exhibition about General Groves.
- June 4 through Aug. 31—”Department of Energy Facilities Public Bus Tour” for U.S. citizens 10 years of age and up. Must have photo identification. The tour is offered Monday through Friday.
- June 8 through Sept. 3—“The Cuban Missile Crisis: When the Cold War Got Hot” is a traveling exhibition that follows the progress of the standoff over the Soviet Union’s installation of nuclear missiles in Cuba. Artifacts, audiovisuals, and posters tell the story.
From June 15 through 16:
- AMSE has all-ages $1 admission days during the Secret City Festival.
- “Science Village” includes hands-on science and engineering activities provided by ORNL and Oak Ridge Associated Universities. Students of all ages can play the part of an ion beam going through an accelerator in the Spallation Neutron Source exhibit, explore exothermic reactions while creating Foam Gnomes, learn about fusion, physics, robots and much, much more! Come meet the scientists and researchers conducting these science activities for all ages in the white tent in the AMSE back parking lot on June 15 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. and June 16 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. There is no charge for these activities.
- “Graphite Reactor Tours from AMSE” with guide commentary during Secret City Festival. Participants must be U.S. citizens and at least 10 years old. Participants must register for bus tour under outside AMSE under the solar panel array. On June 15, the ORNL’s Graphite Reactor tour departs at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. On June 16, ORNL’s Graphite Reactor tour departs at 10 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Participants should allow 90 minutes for this tour from bus departure until returning to AMSE. There is no charge for this tour. Seating is limited and some restrictions apply.
- “Y-12 Bus Tour Bus Shuttle Service from AMSE” during Secret City Festival. Participants must be U.S. citizens and have photo identification. For more information go to http://www.y12.doe.gov/news/events/register.php.
- “Secret City Cruise-In” sponsored by the Clinton Region AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) with Public Viewing of cars and motorcycles from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. in the AMSE lower parking lot and grounds.
The American Museum of Science and Energy is located at 300 South Tulane Ave. For more information on AMSE memberships, exhibits, programs and events, click www.amse.org. To schedule a group visit, call AMSE at (865) 576-3200.
Leave a Reply