The City of Oak Ridge is currently accepting applications for Treatment Plant Operator—Wastewater.
Position: Treatment Plant Operator—Wastewater
Pay Grade: I, $17.39 per hour
- Controls equipment and monitors processes that remove or destroy harmful materials, chemicals, and microorganisms.
- Runs tests to ensure all processes are working correctly.
- Maintains records of water quality and other indicators.
- Operates pumps that move water and wastewater through filtration systems.
- Monitors the indicators at the plants and make adjustments as necessary.
- Reads meters and gauges to ensure plant equipment is working properly.
- Takes samples and run tests to determine the quality of the water being treated.
- Adjusts chemical feed rates and treatment plant processes, such as chlorine, being added to the water based on test results.
- Performs plant maintenance such as cleaning and backwashing intake screens, cleaning and calibrating chemical feeders, and assisting with cleaning clarifier basins.
- Prepares chemical mixes and performs chemical feeds.
- Use computerized systems to monitor plant processes.
- Notifies maintenance of concerns and assists with diagnosing problems with mechanical or electrical equipment as necessary.
- Maintains records that document compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Conducts plant tours and provides general information on plant operations to the general public as required.
- Provides work instruction and technical assistance to plant technician personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the practices, methods, and materials used in water or wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of the variety of plant equipment and processes used in water or wastewater treatment.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations relating to water and wastewater treatment.
- Skill in using test equipment in the monitoring of plant treatment processes.
- Skill in reading meters and gauges and accurately recording findings.
- Skill in conducting routine laboratory tests.
- Skill in operating a variety of plant controls to maintain safe and efficient plant operation.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; take responsibility for quality and timeliness of work; respond to unplanned requests; complete assigned tasks and report progress; demonstrate behavior consistent with Department direction.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and peers.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work the allocated hours of the position and ability to work flexible hours to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays due to adverse weather conditions, construction projects, or other emergency service.
Required Education, Experience, Licensing, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma/equivalent with one (1) year experience in water or wastewater plant operations.
- Possession of a valid State of Tennessee Driver’s license.
- Grade III or IV Plant Operator certification.
Individuals interested in being considered for this position must have an application form on file in the Personnel Department by 12:00 Noon, Wednesday, March 21, 2018.
See the City of Oak Ridge website for more information and to download an employment application.