The City of Oak Ridge is currently accepting applications for Electric Special Area Specialist.
Position: Electric Special Area Specialist
Salary: $70,928.00 annually
Essential Job Functions:
This position coordinates activities related to Departmental fiber communication systems as well as Electric Department planning, construction, and maintenance activities with applicable authorities in areas that are controlled, restricted, or have limited access; responds to and investigates customer complaints regarding electrical services and quality electrical power to customers and contractors in the restricted areas.
- Coordinates activities of all areas of the Electric Department as required to maintain quality electrical service to customers in Special Areas.
- Maintains communication with all customers in Special Areas, assessing current and future needs and making recommendations as to required actions by the Department.
- Serves as Safety Officer for all work in Special Areas; may serve as Safety Officer in other settings as directed.
- Maintains familiarity with Special Area sites, including access and/or safety requirements and provides aide and advice to all Department personnel regardless of assignment in areas of expertise as directed.
- Coordinates and reviews projects that expand the City’s electrical infrastructure in special or restricted areas with applicable authorities, customers, contractors, and other City departments.
- Coordinates activities of overhead and underground electrical line work crews including arranging for specialized training and compliance with specialized project requirements.
- Conducts on-site inspections of work in progress and upon completion ensures compliance with City and departmental policies and procedures, City codes, quality standards, safety regulations, and all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Checks and inspects work performed under force accounts by outside contractors.
- Plans, designs, and supervises installation, maintenance, and operation of the City’s Fiber Optic System for the Electric Department.
- Develops and implements electronic controls, data communication strategies, and aids in implementation of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems.
- Responds to all emergency conditions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of City Code of Ordinances, Tennessee Code Annotation (TCA), and all other applicable federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of regulations and practices necessary to work safely in area under federal control, or areas with contamination or other hazards not typical of the work environment.
- Knowledge of general principles of fiber optic system operation, maintenance, and repair.
- Knowledge of Electrical Power and electrical transmission and distribution systems.
- Knowledge of Electrical systems and operations, including automated systems such as Automated Meter Infrastructure, SCADA systems, and system modeling.
- Advanced knowledge of electronic communication protocols with hands-on experience in developing, installing, and maintaining computer-controlled electronic equipment.
- Knowledge and skill in installation, maintenance, and operation of fiber optic systems.
- Knowledge of local, State and Federal laws, and regulations pertaining to utilities, and other regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively utilize the principles of strategic and long and short range planning.
- Skill in analyzing complex administrative information and issues, defining problems and evaluating alternatives and recommending methods, procedures, and techniques for resolution of issues.
- Ability to research and analyze detailed information and make appropriate recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to form and maintain long term work relationships.
- Ability to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or related engineering field and two (2) years previous engineering or project management experience.
- Must meet all requirements imposed by the Department of Energy or other Federal agencies for access to Special Areas where the City may have electrical customers including, but not limited to the following:
- Must be a Citizen of the United States of America.
- Must have ability to obtain required security clearances.
- Must have completed, or complete all training necessary to access areas with known radiological or chemical contamination including but not limited to:
- General Employment Training
- Forty Hour HAZWOPER training
- RAD worker 2 training
- Required facility specific and/or security awareness training
All parties interested in this position should have an application and/or resume on file with the Personnel Department no later than 12:00 noon, Thursday, March 29, 2018.
See the City of Oak Ridge website for more information and to download an employment application.