CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICER POSITIONS
The City of Oak Ridge is currently beginning its recruitment activities for the position of Certified Police Officer, to include those having successfully completed a police academy with POST certification pending.
Please carefully read this document to learn how this process will work.
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Possess excellent moral character for carrying out law enforcement duties
- Be free of a criminal conviction record
- Possess a valid driver’s license (if applicant lives out of state, he/she must be able to obtain Tennessee Driver’s License 30 days after employment)
- Be of proportionate height and weight
- Ability to pass (a) police officer selection test, (b) physical ability test, (c) panel interview, (d) background investigation, (e) psychological examination, (f) medical examination, (g) drug screening, and (h) interview with Chief of Police
- Must have a High School diploma or GED and have successfully completed a Police Academy with POST certification pending.
Applicants meeting ALL of the mandatory qualifications above are eligible to take the written test that will be given on Friday, February 23, 2018, in the gymnasium at the Oak Ridge Civic Center Complex on the Oak Ridge Turnpike across from the Oak Ridge High School (1403 Oak Ridge Turnpike). Registration will open at 8:30, and the written test will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last approximately two (2) hours.
Immediately following the written test, applicants will be given a physical agility test in the same room as the written test is administered. Therefore, applicants should wear or bring loose fitting exercise clothes and shoes suitable for running.
Other future selection steps for some applicants may include an oral interview, a psychological evaluation, background investigation, drug screening, and medical evaluation.
Individuals who desire to participate in the selection process by taking the written and physical agility tests must have a completed City of Oak Ridge employment application on file in the Personnel Department by 12:00 noon on Friday, February 2, 2018. You may access our application by visiting the City’s website at www.oakridgetn.gov and downloading the application. Please note: You will need to download and save the application on your computer, complete the application, save and return to the City.
Please contact the Oak Ridge Personnel Department at (865) 425-3564 if you have any questions.