The City of Oak Ridge is currently accepting applications for Utility Accounts Specialist.
Position: Utility Accounts Specialist
Starting Salary: $14.65 per hour with liberal fringe benefits
Essential Job Functions:
Under general supervision of the Utility Business Office Manager or designee, performs in one of several areas of specialty, researching, collecting, and analyzing large amounts of data; analyzing and maintaining billing and tax data bases; performing a variety of complex customer related activities, including production of billing statements; collection of delinquent accounts and analysis of property and personal taxes and adjustments.
- Leads, reviews, and audits Customer Service Representatives.
- Conducts targeted internal reviews of existing data bases to ensure quality, consistency, and compliance with state and federal law, contractual obligations, and internal policy.
- Uses established, detailed procedures to perform utility or tax related tasks, such as establishing accounts, processing billing, or checking of error sheets.
- Performs searches for people and businesses and makes customer contacts in order to aid in collection of overdue utility or tax accounts.
- Researches customer questions, complaints, concerns, or disputes ensuring quality customer service and compliance with department policies and procedures.
- Under specific policy guidance, negotiates payment settlements with customers, and makes recommendations to supervisors on waiving of customer penalties.
- Responds to telephone or in person inquiries from employees or the general public; researches situation and answers various inquiries.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting, bookkeeping, and office procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and standards of assigned area.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations in assigned area.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment.
- Skill in maintaining accurate records and files.
- Skill in organizing data and preparing reports and statements.
- Skill in using a personal computer, a variety of computer software, and other equipment essential to performing daily activities.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with associate personnel, other City employees, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively work with customers in a high stress confrontational environment.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Associate Degree preferred; High School Diploma and three (3) years of experience in accounting, bookkeeping, or related clerical work; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applications are available and due at the Personnel Department in the Municipal Building by 12:00 noon on Friday, August 18, 2017.
See the City of Oak Ridge website for more information and to download an employment application.