The City of Oak Ridge is recruiting for Police Officer and Police Officer Trainee applicants to fill current vacancies and future openings.
POSITION: Police Officer Trainee and Police Officer
SALARY GRADE: 16 and 17
STARTING SALARY: $32,011 per year ($15.39 per hour)/$ 33,571.20 per year ($16.14 per hour)
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Possess excellent moral character for carrying out law enforcement duties
- Be free of a criminal conviction record
- Possess a valid driver’s license (if applicant lives out of state, he/she must be able to obtain Tennessee Driver’s License 30 days after employment)
- Be of proportionate height and weight
- Ability to pass (a) police officer selection test, (b) physical ability test, (c) panel interview, (d) background investigation, (e) psychological examination, (f) medical examination, (g) drug screening, and (h) interview with Chief of Police
- Must have a High School diploma or GED and one of the following:
a. Have successfully completed at least 60 semester hours of college credit with coursework in any subject matter. Credits from any accredited college or university will be accepted; or
b. Have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, including the Organized Reserves and National Guard, for at least two years on active duty and, if separated from the military, have received an honorable discharge; or
c. Have served at least three (3) years in a full-duty status with a full-service law enforcement agency in a municipality, county, or state within the United States, and be currently employed, have resigned, or be retired in good standing.
Applicants meeting ALL of the mandatory qualifications above are eligible to take the written test that will be given on Thursday, May 25, 2017, in the Shep Lauter Room (Gymnasium) in the Recreation Building at the Civic Center Complex on the Oak Ridge Turnpike across from the Oak Ridge High School. Applicants will be admitted at 8:30 a.m. and the written test will begin at 9:00 a.m. and should take about two hours.
Immediately following the written test, applicants will be given a physical agility test in the Performing Arts Pavilion near Bissell Park, adjacent to the written test site. Therefore, applicants should wear or bring loose-fitting exercise clothes and shoes suitable for running.
Other selection steps for some applicants may include an oral interview, a psychological evaluation, background investigation, drug screening, and medical evaluation.
Individuals who desire to participate in the selection process by taking the written and physical agility tests must have a completed application on file in the Personnel Department by 12:00 noon on Thursday, May 11, 2017.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply and prior law enforcement experience is preferred.
See the City of Oak Ridge website for more information and to download an employment application.