The City of Oak Ridge is currently accepting applications for Electric Line Technician (Lineman).
Electric Line Technician (Lineman)
Vacancy due to retirement
Salary Group: 25, starting salary $24.86-$28.23 per hour, depending on qualifications
Primary Job Tasks:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high-voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
- High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
- Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
- Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver’s License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
- Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity that permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high-voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life-threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
- The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks, and trenchers.
- The ability to work safely close to energized high-voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
- The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers, and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
- Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Individuals interested in this position must file an employment application/resume on file with the Personnel Department.
See the City of Oak Ridge website for more information and to download an employment application.